The Movie: Snake Eyes (1998)
We’ve been talking about what we perceived as the Nicolas Cage action movie phase of the 90’s and it turns out, that’s not quite what Snake Eyes is. Caroline and Dylan are a house divided as we try to figure out whether Snake Eyes is campy fun or a slog that doesn’t know how to do what it’s trying to do.
Further Reading, Viewing, and Links:
- Dataclysm: Who We Are (When We Think No One Is Looking) by Christian Rudder – the data-based book about OkCupid’s user database (Goodreads)
- The Five Types of Nicolas Cage Movies by Walt Hickey (FiveThirtyEight)
- In Defence of Nicolas Cage by Alex Flood (NME)
- Nicolas Cage is Preparing to Retire from Acting by Rhian Daly (NME)
- Caroline and Dylan’s rankings of the Nicolas Cage movies (Letterboxd and Letterboxd)
- NetFlakes Podcast #88 – Dazed and Confused w/ Caroline Diezyn
- the trailer for Snake Eyes
- the deleted opening scene of Batman Forever
Caroline Diezyn is a PhD student, writer, and artist in London, Ontario. They think Nic Cage in Moonstruck is dreamy af. Check out their ranked list of every movie on Rattling The Cage on Letterboxd. Send them Cage memes on Twitter.
Dylan Clark-Moore is a person who loves to talk about media in London, Ontario. He joined Rattling The Cage because talking about Nic Cage’s personality is way easier than forming his own. You can find him on Twitter, Instagram, and Letterboxd.